I believe that a great product is more than just lines of code. It’s the reason why people seek us out, it’s that feeling of relief, and it’s the joy of accomplishment.
I believe the whole experience is the product.
My passion has always been creating wonderful and compelling user experiences. When I was 12, I created my first web page and I was instantly hooked. My career has been split between building both server-side and client-side applications.
Great products are built by great teams. I enjoy working with others to solve user’s problems and optimize their experience.
I have built web applications for some of New Zealand's most well known brands. I was an early developer at Vend, and a co-founder of Onceit.
I'm looking for my next challenge and I would love to work with you.
- Node: Express, Kraken, Hapi.
- Frontend: React, Redux, Backbone, jQuery.
- Mobile: React Native.
- PHP: Symfony, Laravel, Wordpress.
- Database: MySQL, SQLite.
- CSS: SCSS/SASS, LESS, Bootstrap, Foundation.
- Sysadmin: Docker, Nginx, Apache, Varnish, Ubuntu/Debian Linux.
- Build tools: Webpack, Gulp, Grunt.
- Version control: Git, Subversion.
Senior Full-Stack Engineer, SaferCities (Apr 2018 - present)
SaferCities brings together people and businesses working toward crime prevention, public safety & vibrant communities.
Contract Developer, Rush Digital (Dec 2017 - Apr 2018)
A specialist, cutting-edge digital engineering studio.
- Rebuilt Z Energy's mobile applications using React Native.
Senior Developer, Weirdly (Feb 2017 - Dec 2017)
Customised recruitment software that filters your applicants. Finding people who share your company values and fit your team culture.
- Rebuilt the existing web application to be much faster, more secure, and many times more scaleable.
- Worked remotely, in a timezone with no overlay with the rest of the team.
Founder, Ravage (Aug 2014 - Nov 2016)
A social-media marketing tool to help musicians grow their fan base.
- Designed and managed all aspects of the product.
- Created a Docker-based production environment.
- Built internal development tools to monitor and restart micro-services.
Co-Founder/Technical Partner, Onceit (Jan 2010 - Sep 2015)
An online store selling limited quantities of designer clothing at discounted prices.
- Developed an e-commerce system to sell limited quantities of products under large demand.
- Deployed Varnish to reduce server load and improve responsiveness.
- Created analytics system for business data.
In 2014, I spent 7 months working full-time on Onceit. I completed a backlog of improvements and assembled a permanent development team.
- Deployed new server infrastructure to make scaling easier.
- Transitioned to Fastly's managed Varnish service, reducing traffic to servers by 92%.
- Split the website into separate API and client services. This allowed the API to power native mobile apps.
- Developed internal tools to streamline, and increase accuracy, during order fulfillment.
- Redesigned a complex, multi-stage checkout system into an easy, single page process.
- Hired and trained new developers.
Senior Developer, Vend (Oct 2011 - Jan 2014)
An offline-capable, browser-based point-of-sale system.
- Was responsible for an offline-capable, single-page point of sale application.
- Implemented a postMessage-based JS API for payment system integrations.
- Worked with API consumers to support and improve their integrations.
Lead Developer, Pixel Fusion (May 2008 - Oct 2011)
A software development company specializing in bespoke solutions.
- Technical lead on all projects.
- Hired, trained, and mentored junior developers.
- Built an in-house content management system with a rich, desktop-style, ExtJS application.
- Created a vehicle booking management single-page application.
- Optimized a data import tool to reduce import times by 94%.
An Introduction to Visual Web Developer, .Net Magazine, Issue 165 (Apr 2007)
An introduction to Microsoft Visual Web Developer and ASP.NET
Cord Layouts, .Net Magazine, Issue 163 (Feb 2007)
Education & Qualifications
The University of Auckland (2004 - 2005)
BSc Computer Science (incomplete)